Thursday, May 7, 2009

Allergy skin prick test - any chance of contamination?

I had an allergy skin prick test done, and because I was nervous, I didn't ask alot of questions, but should have. I saw they had about 100 vials of stuff, and marked the ones I was getting tested for with yellow caps. They used some kind of lancet or whatever to "prick" my back. So then I started wondering, do they reuse lancets? Do they reuse extracts or those little bottles among patients? Is there a risk of catching some kind of disease? Thanks.

Allergy skin prick test - any chance of contamination?
i'm pretty sure anything that penetrates skin can not be used again by a medical professional. did you go to a real doctor? if so i wouldn't worry about it.
Reply:Of course they don't reuse lancets unless you went to some witch doctor in a 3rd world country. The procedures prevent cross-contamination occurring between patients.





There is always a risk of catching some kind of disease. With an allergy test the risk of catching a disease is lower than the risk if you went home and scratched you skin lightly with a safety pin.

asparagus fern

No comments:

Post a Comment